Thursday, April 18, 2013

Brats...Not The Kind You Eat

Recently an event occurred that made me reflect on a few things.
 
Someone was offended by a comment I made saying some kids really ARE brats. Not saying all of them are and it varied from child to child.
It wasn't geared at behavior kids or 'normal' kids.
 
Some kids, no matter what diagnosis they have, ARE brats!
 
Offended? Just wait a minute there and let me explain.
 
Children are children, no matter the diagnosis. If they know that when they act a certain way and you give into what they want; chances are the child will do it again....and again....and again.....and again. It would be a never ending process.
 
Since I am around spectrum kids daily I would like to focus on them being 'brats' in this entry.
 
I am imagining a lot of you are very slamming your fists down, yelling for your other half, or something equally outrageous in response to what I have just said above.
 
There are higher functioning autistic kids who know that when they throw a fit, whine, cry, or scream loudly when you tell them 'no' they will get what they are after.
This would be called 'rewarding the behavior'. I have some students who refuse to eat breakfast because at home they threw a fit when mom/dad said 'no' to having ice cream for breakfast, they magically get ice cream for breakfast.
 
Sorry kid, this is the real world, you can have these cereal options, toast, or oatmeal.
[insert hour long cry session here]
 
They lash out physically when they don't get the reaction they want to the crying.
 
This people would be called a brat. Totally parent created, just like in a 'normal' child.
 
I know kids who will get $50 toys they play with once every time they go to walmart. Why? Mom and Dad hear everyone tsking when their child screams and cries.
 
Ever heard of just leaving and sitting in the car until your child is calm, then explain why we can't get a toy this trip?
 
I don't know how your finances are but around here $50 twice or more a week would break my bank!
 
The first few tries/months of this may be hard but I assure you, it is worth it in the end just to NOT give in to the child, normal or not.
 
Remember: What may be cute and manageable when they are little won't be so cute when they are 25!
 
Food for thought!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment